Monday, September 7, 2009

Pakeezah - "Inhi Logon Ne"



Pakeezah was a watershed Bollywood movie for many reasons. It took 14 years in the making. After the movie was begun Meena Kumari fell out with her husband Kamal Amrohi, who was also the director and producer of the movie. Later Meena Kumari was convinced to complete the film. But by that time she was so unwell that a body double had to be used for her dances. The movie released to empty theatres. Within three weeks of the film's release Meena Kumari passed away. The public then thronged to the cinema halls and the movie was a super hit.

One of the first sequences in the film is Meena Kumari performing a mujra to the song ‘inhi logon ne’. The song and its translation in English are produced below.
The dupatta is actually a long scarf worn over both shoulders and hanging down in front. It symbolizes a woman’s modesty. At an ulterior level in this song the dupatta is symbolic of the tawayafs or dancing girls, like the heroine of Pakeezah, whose modesty is outraged at every step of their lives.

First they are usually kidnapped from their homes as young girls and sold to the kothas or dancing houses. Then they are trained in coquetry and dancing. And finally they are forced to dance in front of drooling men and often made to provide other services as well. These three stages are depicted in the three verses of the song.


Inhi logon ne, inhi logon ne
Inhi logon ne le leena dupatta mera

Hamri na maano saiyyaan
Hamri na maano bajajva se poochho
Jis ne asharfi gaz deena dupatta mera


Hamri na maano saiyyaan
Hamri na maano rangrajva se poochho
Jis ne gulaabi rang deena dupatta mera

Hamri na maano saiyyaan
Hamri na maano sipahiya se poochho
Jis ne bajariya mein chheena dupatta mera


 

It is these people, it is these people,
It is these people who have taken away my veil.

If you do not believe me my love,
If you do not believe me then ask the cloth merchant
Who sold my veil at the rate of a gold coin per yard.

If you do not believe me my love,
If you do not believe me then ask the dyer
Who dyed my veil in pink color.

If you do not believe me my love,
If you do not believe me then ask the soldier
Who snatched away my veil in the market place.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for these translations. I’m finally understanding the words of songs from my childhood!

    ReplyDelete